Florida Sea Grant Extension in Collier County

Welcome to the Collier County Sea Grant Extension Blog

This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my extension outreach efforts and useful information to make you a more informed coastal citizen. If you have any questions about what you see, feel free to contact me at fluech@ufl.edu.


Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

4-H Tigertail Trip

Today I had the opportunity to get out of my office and take a local 4-H club to Tigertail Beach on Marco Island. If you have never been, it is an amazing place to explore. I often bring groups there to seine net in the lagoon and beach side. Today our catch included: bay anchovies, pinfish, pipefish, lined sole, shrimp, blue crab, fiddler crab, permit, whiting, and comb jelly. We also spotted Wilson Plovers, osprey, black skimmers, white ibis, snowy egret, and least terns. I think the kids (and parents) had great time. In addion to sampling with the seine net, I also gave a brief mangrove identificiation demo and talked about sea turtle nesting in the area. They were a great goup of kids. Not a bad way to spend my morning!

















No comments:

Post a Comment