Florida Sea Grant Extension in Collier County

Welcome to the Collier County Sea Grant Extension Blog

This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my extension outreach efforts and useful information to make you a more informed coastal citizen. If you have any questions about what you see, feel free to contact me at fluech@ufl.edu.


Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Florida Natural Resource Leadership Institute Advisory Council Gets Underway


The Florida Natural Resources Leadership Institute (NRLI) is a year-long leadership training program offered through the University of Florida Extension Service that helps the people, industries, and agencies of Florida collaborate in achieving the often conflicting goals of protecting the environment and fostering economic development. NRLI helps rising leaders develop skills to build consensus around contentious environmental issues and move beyond conflict to find solutions. Through eight three-day sessions and practicum exercise, NRLI Fellows gain knowledge of Florida natural resource issues, leadership skills, professional networking opportunities, and personal and social growth. To date, 170 "fellows" have participated and graduated from the program. Not only am I proud graduate of the program (Class VIII), I also serve as the president of the NRLI Alumni Association.

Recently, I was asked to serve on the NRLI Advisory Council, whose purpose is to serve in an advisory mode to the NRLI director and project team regarding program policies and procedues. 
Dr. Laila Raceevskis, Director
of  NRLI discusses with the
council  ways to sustain the progam
 for  future participants 

Yesterday I traveled to Gainesville to attend the first council meeting.  The council is comprised of 21 members representing private sector, NGO's, governmental agencies, and academia. It will help identify training and education needs that will appeal to potential participants as well as develop recruitment and fundraising strategies to help sustain the  program.

I can honestly say NRLI is the best leadership training program I have ever been through, and it has had a profound impact on how I work and interact with others and develop my outreach and education programming. I feel honored to be a part of this organization,  and I look forward to working with the diverse group of talented professionals who make up the council in order promote and sustain a program that has meant so much to me.
If you would like to learn more about NRLI,  do not hesitate to contact me!  Class XI will begin next August and the project team is always looking for interested participants.

Dr. Jack Payne, the Senior VP for Agriculture and
Natural Resources at the  University of Florida welcomed the
Council  and shared some insight on the importance of conflict resolution
 and open communication between stakeholder groups

 






No comments:

Post a Comment