- 52 volunteers surveyed 59 sites between Monroe and Pasco Counities (the majority were between Collier and Pinellas)
- Surveys were completed between June 2 and June 13 with 52 (88%) of the sites surveyed within the first 5 days.
- The survey spanned approximately a 340km x 130km area
- A minimum of 312 goliath groupers were observed
- 86% (51/59) of sites had a least one GG on them.
- The average number of goliaths observed per site was 5.3
- Collier surveyed 8 sites and counted approximately 80 GGs
- The avg number of GGs seen at Collier sites was approx 10
- There was no direct trend between the number of GGs and depth of site. The numbers were all over
- As expected the majority of GGs (~180) were in the 3-5 foot range putting their age somewhere between 5 and 11 years old. The size range of goliaths looked like typical bell curve.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Posted by Collier County Sea Grant Agent at 12:36 PM