Florida Sea Grant Extension in Collier County

Welcome to the Collier County Sea Grant Extension Blog

This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my extension outreach efforts and useful information to make you a more informed coastal citizen. If you have any questions about what you see, feel free to contact me at fluech@ufl.edu.


Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Collier County Youth Fishing Camp- Day 1

Today, I began my youth sport fishing camp for Collier County Parks and Recreation. This is the 2nd year I've done the camp for them. We meet 9AM-1PM everyday this week.  We've got an enthusiastic bunch of young anglers ranging from 8-10 years of age. Besides teaching the group basic fishing techniques (knot tying, casting,) I really try to emphasize the importance of being a conservation-minded angler. For instance, I make sure everyone knows how to use a dehooking tool before we fish for real. I addressed the benefits of using circle hooks, proper handling and release practices, and the importance of knowing and following the regulations. Of course we also did a little fishing too!! I get rods and reels donated from Fish Florida, which has alway been an excellent partner in supporting youth fishing education! Overall, fishing was a little slow today. We ended up only catching 4 or 5 bass. I think it was just too hot outside. The kids were good sports about it. Here are some pictures from today. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment