Florida Sea Grant Extension in Collier County

Welcome to the Collier County Sea Grant Extension Blog

This blog is an opportunity for me to share with you my extension outreach efforts and useful information to make you a more informed coastal citizen. If you have any questions about what you see, feel free to contact me at fluech@ufl.edu.


Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

Collier County Youth Fishing Camp- Day 5

Today marked the end of my week long fishing camp for Collier County. In my mind, it was a  total success! When the kids came into today, I had all of their rods and reel completely dismantled. I made them a deal if they could put it back together and tie on their terminal tackle themselves based on the knots they learned this week, the rod and reel was theirs.The kids were very excited to learn they got to keep the equipment. As I said on day 1, a big thanks goes out to Fish Florida, who donates the rods and reels to me for my youth fishing programs. Once everyone was done, we did some more fishing around the park's lake. We brought in some more bass, which were pretty nice size. We ended up the day playing Sport Fish Bingo, where the kids had several opportunities to win many door prizes. We gave out dehookers, law sticks, lures, hats, and fish ID books.
Needless to say its been a busy week, and I'm exhausted, but it was well worth it. Hopefully there are now 14 young anglers out there who are a bit wiser about fishing and conservation.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos, great kids and a great instructor! The information and activities you're sharing with these little anglers is terrific!

    ReplyDelete